Saturday, November 26, 2011

Linux lesson for newbies: Don't install a linux distro within 3 months of release

Yesterday I learnt a lesson, now I would not upgrade my linux distro within 3-4 months of release. Normally a new release would have definitely scores of bugs and things get fixed within 3-4 months. Ubuntu community would have by that time addressed all the common problems once can face while installation and running. Therefore, it makes more sense to install a somewhat "matured" distro.

Like when I installed Natty, it was already 4 months old; hence, all the bugs were fixed. I used it once and got hooked to it. Similarly, for Ubuntu 11.10, when I downloaded, it had a few bugs (like the updated linux kernel not working, some difficulty in getting the screen resolution right, etc.). But, once I fixed those, it is simply a great distro to work with. I really like the updated Gwibber client - sleek and fast.

However, once point. Ubuntu doesn't force anyone to update the distribution. It is the user's choice. If you are contended with the distro version you are using, my recommendation would be not to upgrade it. It may not be nice experience if you are upgrading within 3 months of release. You see, the Ubuntu guys really works hard to create a distro which is comparable to Windows (and sometimes more functional) - the credit really goes to them. But, at times it is difficult to envision the broad spectrum of platforms on which the distro is going to run - from a 256 mb 10 year old PC to today's high-tech 4-8GB cool lappy. Hence, take your time and do some research for the common problems before you really decide to upgrade.

4 comments:

  1. Yes!
    This is also my feel..

    I also now-a-days wait for 4 Months before upgrading my distribution to the next version.

    My Best Selections (Top 3 Lists) are Sabayon 13.08, PC-Linux-OS and Fedora 19

    Yours
    VN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! My top 3 includes: Mint, Debian and Manjaro. I guess that is the beauty of Linux - every user can have a very different top 3!

      Regards,
      Arindam

      Delete
  2. Hi
    Certainly; for me the Top3 has changed over a period of time.

    2010 my Top 3 are Ubuntu 10.04, Mandriva 2010-2 & Fedora 15
    2011 my Topd 3 are Fedora 16, Linux Mint 13 and Open-Suse 11.4
    2012 my Top3 are Fedora 17, Sabayon & Manjaro
    2013 First Half; my top 3 are Fedora 19, PC-Linux-OS and Sabayon 13.08.
    2013 Second Half : my Top 3 are Fedora 19, Zorin and Bodhi

    Though I was attracted by the features and power of Fedora due to its instability I am willing to move away from it. However the attachment to its power is some thing very difficult to leave aside and hence I am not leaving it off for the last 3 years

    Yours
    VN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VN:

      Possibly it is the beauty of Linux to have so many options. Like you stated, even my favorite OS changes from time to time. Right now I like Manjaro, Zorin & Elementary. Possibly you should give Elementary a shot.

      Regards,
      Arindam

      Delete